The Wild Party

Friday, February 19, 2010

Finally...The First Rehearsal!

Wow - I can't believe it finally arrived! Last night was the first rehearsal for "The Wild Party". I have been so anxious to get started on this show, as has everyone involved apparently.

In addition to being anxious, though, I was also really nervous walking into last nights rehearsal. I knew some of the cast from previous shows and friendships, but a majority of the cast I did not know...and of course when I walked-in last night...no one I knew was there yet. Despite what many people think, I am not always an extrovert and I was pretty quiet when I sat at the table. Quiet because I didn't know anyone yet, and quiet because I couldn't believe that I was actually there! The day I had been waiting for, for some time. I honestly can't remember when I was so excited to start working on a show.

Soon the room filled with the rest of the cast and familiar faces came pouring in. It was so good to see people - many I hadn't seen in years. It was a bit of a reunion of sorts. And after sitting at the table for five minutes, everyone acted as if they knew everyone and jokes, stories, laughter and new friendships were being formed. It's a pretty awesome experience when you get a bunch of theatre people in one room - we all have the passion for the same thing - and feed off that energy. And boy is there a lot of energy to feed off with the amazing cast Scott has assembled.

And amazing on so many different levels. The talent that sat around the piano last night was astounding. 16 people singing a score that they have never sung before - and making it work. That's not to say that this isn't going to be work - it's going to be a hell of a lot of work. This score is hard. But we're all up to the challenge. Speaking of, I'm singing bass in this show...I don't know when the last time I got to sing bass line...but I think I'm loving it! Who knew? Oh, Scott - that's right.

So...we have a couple days off before we start our first choreography rehearsal on Sunday. And for those of you that know me, you know I'm super excited to be in a show where I can dance. And who better to dance with than Robin Berger...I kind of adore her. Anyway, I left rehearsal last night on a huge high, a smile on my fast, and went to bed happy to be in rehearsals again. This is going to be a fun journey and I know I am going to grow as a performer because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment