The Wild Party

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Do The Juggernaut...

My body hates me - it's official! My voice, my arms, my legs, my head...everything. I am at war with my body, and I think my body is winning! And I love it. I adore being in this show and getting to dance...to really dance again. Robin has outdone herself with the choreography. This past Sunday we learned 'The Juggernaut" - to give you an indication as to how difficult the choreography is, an excerpt from the song that we actually physically perform over and over again is as follows: one foot, one hand, one step, one turn, one touch, one hip, that's all you have to do. It's exhausting, exhilarating, and exciting all at the same time. This number definitely has the most going on, but for some reason I have been able to pick this one up easier than any of the others. It makes sense to me in my head - it's more of a continuous dance number than the others.

Last night we blocked more of Act 1. Some things are really starting to make sense to me while other things do not at all. It will all come together, but we're in the period where everything is kind of a cluster f#*k. It's sinking in more and more each day...being able to anticipate what is next and have it be natural is the struggle I am facing now. The 12 of us backing up the four leads have to constantly be aware of our surroundings at all times. Scott has really been emphasizing the need for us to establish our characters too and have a back story. He wants it to be clear to each other and to the audience how we know one another. In fact, he asked us last night to think of three questions, one of which was: who would we sleep with right now. As the bi-sexual producer of the group whose apparently always sex hungry, I easily answered yes to everyone! Regardless of this, though, I really need to make sure I'm staying in character and building relationships with those around me.

Tonight we are finishing up the blocking to Act 1 and then Thursday night we are running all of Act 1 off book. Ugh. Really? I don't know if I'm ready for that. But it's one of those things that I think will just happen and it will all fall into place. I mean you have to put the book down at some point...and we really can't start getting into the meat of the show until we get those damn scripts out of our hands. I also need to figure out how I'm going to continue to listen to the music - my car battery died on Friday night - when my car started again, the CD player/radio didn't work. Apparently there is some code that you have to put in...um, I don't know what that code is. So, I need to start remember to grab my iPod when I leave for rehearsal (I like to go over the dance numbers in my head before rehearsal). So - if you know how to get my CD player to work again, let me know - I would be ever so appreciative. For now, though, it's back to the script to review what we have done thus far.

1 comment:

  1. Those Hondas and their CD player security codes! That happened to me when I had to replace my battery too. The dealership where you bought your car will have it on record and can look it up for you. Quick! Call them so you can listen to your Wild Party CD again! :)

    ReplyDelete